[Amps] Amplified TV Antenna

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Jul 6 15:29:29 PDT 2012

On 7/6/2012 1:03 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 7/6/2012 11:13 AM, Jerry Kaidor wrote:
>>    Need a little advice here.
>
> I get excellent results from an old standby 4x2 bow-tie with reflector.
> It's a broadband UHF antenna, but also gets enough high-band VHF signal
> that the set solidly decodes Ch 8 from about 40 miles away.  I have it
> on a 20 ft rat shack mast just outside the shack, only 20 ft from my
> 160M vertical. 80/40 dipole is directly overhead up 110 ft. I've never
> seen or heard even the slightest problem with it.  There's a Channel
> Master mast-mounted preamp on it, and the feedline coming to the shack
> has a multi-turn ferrite choke, per the recommendations in my RFI tutorial.

I put a UHF antenna with remote preamp at roughly 90 feet about 10'
below the tribander. Running QRO there no QRM.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower39.htm

At 90 feet it receives well out to over 100 miles on axis. It also does
well on VHF out to at least 60 miles or more consistently although it's
not very directive on VHF.

73

Roger (K8RI)