[Amps] Alpha 87A

GeorgeWallner aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jul 9 19:59:24 PDT 2012

  "David Jordan" <wa3gin at comcast.net> wrote:
> Sounds about right.  The older units need significant
>modifications to bring
> them up to current.
I have a 1993 vintage Alpha 87A. The only problems I had
were with the T/R switching PIN diodes (DPX-X103), which I
had to replace three times so far. The amp is getting
about 50 hours of use per year, but most of that is in
costests, where it runs hard for 48 hours. The tubes are
still original and I get about 2000 W out with roughly 50
W drive (band dependent). As an amp it meets my
expectations (for a tube type amp) and I really can not
see what upgrades would justify $3000!

George