[Amps] Upgrades for LK500ZC?

Zev Darack zevdarack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 11:10:22 PDT 2012

I am in the process of upgrading an LK500ZC and am looking for recommendations:

I am currently working on the following:
1. Installing the Harbach Power Supply
2. Installing the Harbach Soft Start
3. Replacing the Plate Choke which was rewound by someone with an
Ameritron Plate choke.

The amp also has a fuse between the Zener diode and the QSK board so I
am going to install a panel mount fuse holder for this.
KM1H recommended I install Glitch protection.
The current tubes are showing a blue color during transmit so I will
be replacing the tubes as well.  Eventually one of the tubes flashes
over and causes the fuse on the zener diode to blow.  The amp is
putting out over a KW so I think everything else is ok.

Questions:
1. Glitch protection: I plan to add 3 10 ohm RCD 175P-10R0-FBW
resistors in series in the B+ line.  Looking for advice on where/how
to mount this in the amp?
2. Recommended mounting location for the soft start in the amp?
3. Is there anything else I should look at that could have caused the
tubes to go bad?
4. Are there any other recommended upgrades for this amp?

Thanks es 73,
Zev N2WKS