[Amps] Overdrive protection

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Thu Jul 26 15:13:41 PDT 2012

I don't see what's controversial about and of that, just common sense.

I think the problem is more that people who are thoughtful about the
way they operate only occasionally need ALC and other protection devices.
I'm as block-headed as a lot of others, but I run 20W PEP into the tetrodes
and just a little more than that into the larger ceramic triodes and it
works well. Of course I'm not attracted to "dogpile" DX'ing, where the
loudest, nastiest signal often wins. All that RF compression can be useful
if you don't care about hygiene. How many 8877's are run at 2500++ out and
into hard compression during contests? If you put ALC on those guy's rigs
they'd swear something was broken and pull the cable off anyway, right
before they posted complaints about excessive tube and component
failures...

73,
Jim N7CXI