[Amps] Overdrive protection

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Jul 26 19:51:22 PDT 2012

> I don't see why the ALC can't be adjusted so the amplifier is never
> over driven

The problem is that the transceiver ALC time constant is too slow and
the transceiver IF stages have excess gain.  Thus the transceiver makes
"full power" for the few milliseconds *before* the ALC can react and
reduce the gain.

It happens in nearly all brands of transceivers - including Yaesu's
FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, FT-1000MP MKV (I haven't tested an FT-2000 or
5000 yet) and all of the Icom 756 series, 7600, 7700, 7800 *IF* the
If gain adjustments (factory) are too high.  Since many of the rigs
have firmware based, per band gain settings, a given radio can have
tremendous overshoot on one band and be fine on another.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV