[Amps] Overdrive protection

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Jul 27 09:02:18 PDT 2012

OK on ancient history (-;

>From the mid 80's to current I either worked in a RF lab with access to some
of the best test equipment or built up a suitable substitute here at home.

What I have found with SS gear that Ive tested (and that is far from all of
them) is that there are sweet spots where the IMD is lowest and it is never
at the advertised output. IMD will drop as the power is reduced to that
sweet  spot and then rise again to levels that are worse than at rated
power. I did not try any internal tweaks.

Amps that are tuned for full output and then the Load control adjusted for
heavier loading (LESS C) until the power drops 50W or so at the 1200-1800W
level will have the best IMD. This can be anywhere in the 2-5dB range
depending upon the amp and tubes used.

Carl
KM1H