[Amps] Overdrive protection

Rob Stampfli rob at cboh.org
Fri Jul 27 18:54:56 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 09:42:14PM -0400, Bert Almemo wrote:
> There is a simple solution. I use a 9V battery and a pot to set an
> appropriate/fixed ALC voltage to my 746 for the drive power I want. Works
> like a charm and no overshoots.

Glad it worked for you and your 746.  I tried this trick with my
Kenwood 430 years ago.  The 430 has no power control and I wanted
to use it to drive a linear that required less than 100W input.
While the battery trick did reduce the 430's average power -- in
the limit, it made the audio quite "thin" -- the transient peaks
were still hitting 100W.  Worked great as an FM PO control, though.

Rob / KD8WK