[Amps] Dedicated RF

W2XJ w2xj at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jul 28 19:15:35 PDT 2012

A good tube amp is not cheap either. An Alpha 9500 tube amp lists at
over $2000 more than a THP 2.5K Solid state. Now, I think that the THP
could be bettered for less cost. A lot of new rugged devices have hit
the market and at lower cost than earlier solid state devices. Even
Amertron has an SS am about $500 over a similar powered tube amp using
572s.  In the end it is all about how robust one expects an amplifier to
be that determines the cost for either technology.

A solid state amp would be a good candidate for a semi kit as a really
basic amplifier could be built.