[Amps] Al80b

Vic K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:43:54 PDT 2012

I believe that he is getting some kind of meter to tell him that he is getting 800 watts
output. I doubt that he is. I don't know of any commercially available wattmeter that is
accurate when the SWR is so high.

I have an Alpha wattmeter which indicates forward, reflected and /delivered/ power (f -
r). Operating into a load whose SWR is not 1:1, the forward power goes up, and so does the
reflected power. Probably the "800 watts" he is seeing is forward power.

At some point as the SWR goes up, the delivered power drops as the tank circuit become
less efficient. If it is not capable of matching the load to the tube, then the tube
operates less efficiently too.

If the power input is the same and the efficiency goes down, the difference is heat,
dissipated in the tank components and the tube plate.

Depending on the impedance that it is seeing, some components in the tank circuit are
probably being stressed, either by excessive voltage or current.

a) he is not getting 800 watts into the load, and b) if he is running normal plate
current, something is going to give, sooner or later.

On 7/30/2012 10:21 AM, Paul Manuel wrote:
> A member of another discussion group  Is claiming he can use his Ameritron AL80B Into a
> 12 to 1 swr at 800W output with no problems.
>
> I don't believe it.
>
> What say you experts?
>
> 73 Paul K4PDM
>
> Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T
>
> -----Original message----- From: Dan Simmonds <info at dedicatedrf.com> To:
> amps at contesting.com Sent: Sat, Jul 28, 2012 20:30:38 GMT+00:00 Subject: [Amps]
> Dedicated RF
>
> Guys,
>
> Target price on the US model right now is between $6,500 and $7,000. No kit option is
> planned.
>
> A preliminary layout of the RF section was uploaded to the site this afternoon.
>
> Dan  KK3AN

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/