[Amps] Hunter 2000c

John Becker johnb3030 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 13:21:10 PDT 2012

When I was in college, we had a Hunter Bandit 2000C at the W9BGX club
station. It was a kit and I built it.

Check the solder connections where the ends of the filament choke
connect to the terminal lugs. This was a pre-fabricated assembly in the
kit, and after several years we discovered the solder joints had melted
repeatedly resulting in a bunch of classic cold solder joints. After
re-soldering, the amp actually put out more power than it had on day one.

We didn't experience a total filament circuit failure as you have, but
what caused us to look at it was that one of the tubes appeared to have
an open filament. That was another cold solder joint, as the 3-400s had
pins which were soldered to the filament leads from the tube. A little
re-soldering and the tube was good as new.

73,

John, K9MM