[Amps] Part 2 of "babying" radios and tubes, can do or not?

Charles Harpole k4vud at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 00:46:40 PDT 2012

Reading about failures in electronic devices, especially transistors and tubes, it appears that the only positive thing the owner can do to baby his radio is to leave it on all the time.  That is, beyond the normal stuff like no static and no lightning, and no out-of-spec operations.  I am talking about normal in-spec conditions.  Apparently, electronic devices do not like radical and sudden changes in their state:  on to off or off to on.

It appears that at the molecular and atomic levels of metals (and other items), the behavior changes come from the laws of physics where metals, for example, spontaneously (or under load) exchange electrons... but these changes are beyond the owner's control.  Except by keeping the electronic device always off, the owner can not stop this physical action (and some of these changed occur ON or OFF).

It appears that one can not successfully baby his radio except by leaving it always on or always off and running it totally within specs.

73,

Charles Harpole
k4vud at hotmail.com