[Amps] opening up a transformer

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Fri Jun 15 08:43:50 PDT 2012

Be careful for what you use as a separator/insulator. Plumbers tape is
made with very very low quality standards. Quite a long time ago the tape
manufactures stopped using DuPont Teflon and switched over to other
makers of the PTFE powder base. And the only requirement of the tape is
to act as a cavity filler. It can be very porous and its its thickness can vary
down to zero.

If your in a good size city or near one, check out a few large motor rebuilding
shops, you should find at least one that if you let them know it is for a hobby
will let you buy small quantities of tape, papers, wire, etc.

In a past life at 17 I worked in a shop that made their own transformers for
large welders. On of my first jobs was building transformers, including the
wonderful job of putting the coil assemblies in the 40 gallon heated varnish
tank, and a few times having to reach in and find one that had dropped of
its hook .. gloves .. back then .. now way, and just clean your arm and hand
of with solvent.

-pete