[Amps] filament instant heating query

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Jun 15 09:34:15 PDT 2012

It is the Impedance that controls things Jim.

A properly designed transformer will supply its rated voltage AND rated
current when its connected to a "matched load" Its no different than a
transmitter in that area.

So your Clipperton has a load requiring 6.3V@ 16A and that happens only when
the filaments are up to temperature. Before that when the filament
resistance is much lower and the transformer can not meet the current
requirements so the voltage sags. What you have is a built in variable step
start.

Now you take a poorly designed/marketed amp such as the AL-80A/80B which
runs the filament voltage high to start with so it can meet its inflated
1000W PEP rating. The end result is that it forced a step start to be
included in late AL-80A production and all 80B's. The filament is still over
spec in standby using the factory set transformer taps and using a bucking
winding will bring it down to 5.0 no load at the socket and 4.8V at full
power out.The end result is a bit less RF but hopefully much longer tube
life.

Dentron ran high with the DTR-2000L and several other amps that were built
when the AC line was 115-117Vand 230-234V are now a bit over spec.

When you get into the big instant on tungsten filament  tubes such as the
3CX3000A7 and up is when a step start is really required.OTOH a cathode tube
such as the popular YC-156 takes 6-8 minutes to slowly warm up so no step
start is needed except maybe for the plate supply.

Anybody that tells you a SB-220 can bend the 3-500 filament helix at turn on
has definitely been dropped on his head way too many times. That transformer
was particularly designed to provide a soft ramp up. I dont know about Dahl
replacements.

Your 572B filament will fail when it becomes too thin to support itself or
you drop it. It will more likely loose emission long before that resulting
in gradual loss of output.

Carl
KM1H