[Amps] Pi-L Network Question

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Mon Jun 18 12:09:01 PDT 2012

Jim,

I have often wondered this very thing and recently built several filters
and have made several measurements.  The effects of coupling between the
coils are primarily stopband attenuation.  Small amounts of coupling can
both degrade or enhance the stopband attenuation depending on the
polarity of the coupling and the filter topology. Large amounts of
coupling destroy the filter characteristics.  The measurements I made
were on air core cylindrical, air core toroidal, and iron powder
toroidal inductors which you might find useful.  If you have a PI
network figured out I can send you an analysis file. This is only about
a 5 minute job if you are familiar with LTSpice.

See:
http://www.w0qe.com/Technical_Topics/coupling_between_coils.html

for the coupling data.

73,