[Amps] Alpha PA77 vs 77Dx plate choke?

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Mon Jun 18 21:47:14 PDT 2012

And just so it's in the archives:

The components for adding 160m to the original Alpha 77, PA-77, "D" and
"S" models are are below. (apparently ETO built "D" and "S" models that
did not have 160m, because according to the docs the models that did are
"Dx" and "Sx")

According to RF concepts:
The toroid is (3) T200-2 iron-powder cores glued together, wrapped with
glass tape and wound with 28 turns #12 temp-coated wire. (like
Thermaleze from Amidon)

** Please note the "Dx" *also* has (2) 100pF doorknob caps that are
switched in parallel with the loading caps. The old ETO notes for
modifying the original 77 for 160 make reference to a "2nd load cap",
but don't specify type or quantity. To confuse things further, a
factory-modified PA-77 carcass in my garage has the toroid, but does not
have any additional doorknob caps beyond the 500pF unit normally found
in unmodified amps. For the amp I'm working on right now, I'm going to
add the two 100pF caps just to be safe.

The toroid stack should be spaced off of the chassis to avoid cutting
the field or shorting out turns. ETO originally used rectangular strips
of unplated PC board across the top and bottom of the stack, with a
bolt-hole drilled in the middle of each. I like a little more spacing
than that, but bear in mind that it can get hot down there; common
plastics like acrylic or polystyrene might melt. PTFE or Delrin will
work, fiberglass may be easier to get.

If you dig for it a bit, the current RF Concepts site has a hand-drawn
schematic of the PA-77 bandswitch connections for the modification. I
won't re-post it for fear of copyright issues, but if it ever disappears
and I'm still alive you'll be able to email me for it. I will, though
post a picture of my factory-modified PA-77 tank circuit. You can't see
the inductor really well without taking the side cover off the amp, but
this should give enough of an idea to know where to mount it:

http://www.n7cxi.com/alpha77/160toroid.jpg

And finally, please note the picture is from a parts amp, I try not to
let cobwebs accumulate in my working ones. :-)

73,
Jim N7CXI