[Amps] Acoustic Noise Comparison

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Thu Jun 21 14:13:54 PDT 2012

I'd hate to warp the cover MIG welding, but then I'm no welder at all -
just guessing.
Also - just read your last... Angle stock would be stronger, but we're
trying to dampen resonance. my seat-of-the-pant-ometer says flat bar
would be perhaps just as effective and would have a flatter profile.

I hate to admit this in public, but the last one I fiddled with I used
1/2" MDF in strips, first sealed with a 50% solution of yellow glue and
water, then glued (press-clamp HARD) to the underside of the cover with
Gorilla glue. I spent too much time "cutting and trying", but in the end
it worked well and although I haven't heard that it's ever come off, it
would be non-conductive if it did. I'm planning the same treatment for
*my* QRO HF2500DX, which suffers from a cheap-but-easy-to-replace,
solid-mounted Dayton blower and a huge sheet metal cover. That one's
also getting an EBM-Papst ball-bearing unit with a cast housing,
assuming I can make it fit.

Just some ideas - there are some bright people that read this list,
perhaps one or more of them will share a relevant experience.

73,
Jim N7CXI