[Amps] Acoustic Noise Comparison

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Jun 21 18:05:06 PDT 2012

On 6/21/2012 2:43 PM, Jim Barber wrote:
> Spot on, Jim.
> The 76A and the 78 suffer from both vibration and turbulence, with the
> effects compounded by resonances in the sheet metal cover.

My "old" 76A is almost silent with no vibration in the cover.
For those that do vibrate, a simple piece of tape on the top of the
center partition should quiet it as it has to vibrate against something.

If the fan vibrates bad enough to make the case vibrate enough to make
noise I'd check the squirrel cage to make sure there is nothing going
for a ride. Those fans are very sensitive to any foreign material...
like bugs.  I can lay my hand on the case while the fan is running and
feel no vibration and that thing is so old that any rubber is long gone.

And for Jim? Mig welding from a spool is often an exercise in futility
and frustration.  Heat and speed are critical and I'd not weld anything
to the cover anyway.

73

Roger(K8RI)