[Amps] Acoustic Noise Comparison

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Fri Jun 22 09:02:38 PDT 2012

> Good points Jim plus my shack is never quiet what with a PC, the xcvr with
> small fan always on the finals heatsink, fluorescent lights backround hum
> and sometimes a radio on an AM or FM station.

*** I have been fairly fussy about quiet ever since I started to suffer
with Tinnitus ( ringing in the ears ).  Loud noises - or even medium
noises over periods of time - exacerbate the condition.

   A few years ago, my wife wanted a Honda Element.  We found one, went
and got it, I drove it 100 miles home.  My ears rang for three days!
Road noise in the Element is extreme.  That's why I got the Dynamat
material.   I basically took the interior apart and pasted this stuff
to the sheetmetal.  Dynamat is not a sound absorber, it is specifically
designed as a resonance killer.  Sound absorption takes different stuff
- I guess it's what Jim calls "fuzz".

   ETO did pay some attention to the sound of the blower.  They rubber
mounted it, and ran it off 95VAC, courtesy of a 25V winding on the big
power transformer, connected out of phase.   In receive/idle it's
more air than is needed - the amp idles very slightly above room
temperature.  I'm thinking a two-speed arrangement with either a resistor
or
a little transformer, switched by a relay.  Depends on how much power
is involved in driving the motor.  From a space perspective the resistor is
better - there's not much space in that cabinet, and space needs to be
saved for a filament transformer for a possible future 3CX800 conversion.
OTOH, a bucking transformer won't create (much) more heat.  There would
need to be some sort of timer to make it flow full speed for a while after
stopping transmit.  I guess I'd do that with a 555 and a logic gate -
IF ( we are in transmit or the one-shot is running ) THEN fan=full speed.
and the one-shot would kick off when you go from transmit to receive.

                        - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB