[Amps] Acoustic Noise Comparison

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Fri Jun 22 21:36:44 PDT 2012

Hi,

   I found a spare moment today and couldn't resist.  I popped open the
hood of the Alpha and cut three squares of the "Dynamat Extreme" that I had
left over from my car soundproofing project.  I stuck one square on the L/H
side of the cover, next to ( but not over ) the RF deck.  The second square
went above the power transformer.  The third square on the R/H side of the
cover.

   I also cut up a soft rubber mouse pad and put pieces under the amp,
where the (missing) rear feet were supposed to be, and also under the
(stiff, plastic ) front feet.

   Buttoned it back up, plugged it in, powered it up.  The amp was MUCH
QUIETER.  According to the sound meter, about 8 or 9 db quieter.  Just
as quiet as the 30L-1 in fact.

                              - Jerry Kaidor