[Amps] Coax for MHV connectors?

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 12:41:59 PDT 2012

Bill Turner wrote:

>>What you must NOT do is allow a situation where an isolated amp
>>chassis can be connected by a single HV+ lead with no ground return or
>>HV-minus. (Welcome to the wonderful world of single-wire Millen
>>connectors.)

>I agree but I would not depend solely on the single ground in the HV
>wiring which may be relatively fragile.
>In my amps I use a separate, heavy ground wire, and since all my amps
>and power supplies (so far) have an AC cord with the third wire ground,
>this also performs the function of grounding the chassis together.
>
>Redundancy may save your life.

I completely agree.

The most dangerous situations are often when the amplifier and HV supply
are powered up with temporary connections for fault-finding. In that
case, there may not be as many redundant ground connections as intended.

Coaxial HV cable is the ultimate assurance that if HV+ is connected -
even if it was completely unintentional - there will automatically be a
ground connection too.

Any recommendation for super-insulated single core HV cables and single
pole connectors is totally missing that key point.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek