[Amps] Customs drilled a hole in my GU74b / 4CX800s

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Mar 1 17:47:21 PST 2012

On 3/1/2012 12:26 PM, Mike Andrews wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 05:48:48PM +0100, Tobias Wellnitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> a friend of mine recently was very generous and sent me four used 4CX800 /
>> GU74b which he didn?t need anymore.
>>
>> The tubes where traveling a while and through several non-EU countries.
>> Today the parcel finally arrived.
>>
>> I have already heard wild stories about customs, but I didn?t expect this:
>>
>> *Customs drilled holes in two tubes and later opened them with a saw.
>>
>> I compiled a couple of pictures on my website:
>>
>> http://www.dh1tw.de/customs-break-my-tubes-4cx800-gu74b
>>
>> Anyone else had already similar experiences?
>>
>> *Btw: Is it true that these tubes contain Beryliumoxid and thoriated
>> thungsten?
>>
>> What is the health risk going out from an opened tube?
> Customs in what countr(y|ies)? They must be absolutely insanely ignorant!
Normally it's the country of destination who apparently went to the same
school as many Government employees.

I had an amp come in through Newark.  It was listed and clearly labled
as Amateur Radio Equipment (no duty)
The Newark office still charged the freight company nearly $300 in duty.
When I pointed out it was clearly labeled and on the bill of lading as
Amateur Radio Equipment and listed as duty free, they said I had to get
it back from the freight company, but they were the ones who charged
duty and had the money.

The freight company had to pay them, but they would not give my money back.

> The health risk from BeO2 is minimal as long as the material is in a
> solid mass; it is hazardous only when in the form of inhalable
> particles.

That was the danger from conduction cooled tubes.  Every once in a while
some one would "dress" the block, or trim it down to a different dimension.

73

Roger (K8RI)