[Amps] Buying Stolen Tubes?

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Tue Mar 13 16:31:07 PDT 2012

I remember hearing, I think it was a TV news story, several years ago
that said 60% is stolen.  Seems a little high to me but it may be in
some categories.

It would be an interesting thing to Google.

On 3/13/2012 2:40 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On 03/13/12 01:32 AM, Robert Groh wrote:
>> Amen, Bill.  That was my first and last impression of the ad - why so much
>> fiddling and f***ing around!  The whole story just raised my suspicion level way
>> up.  As you said, you don't need a big elaborate story!  Just say you have a
>> tube which was a pull from a radio station - was running full power (or
>> whatever) and was just rotated out, blah, blah, blah.  No need for the story.
>> Very suspicious.  And suspect. Nope, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole.
>>
>> Bob, WA2CKY
> I wonder what percentage of stuff on eBay is stolen? Both me and a friend
> suspect it is very high, though we have no proof.
>
> I am aware of someone stealing from a department store, and sticking the things
> on eBay. He was caught by the store when they became suspicious, so placed
> something he could steal, with the serial number recorded. After he put it on
> eBay, someone from the stores security department bought it and paid for it, at
> which point the serial number was seen to match. He was fired and prosecuted.
> But I suspect he is far from the only one.
>
> I suspect a lot of things stolen in burglaries are put on eBay.
>
> It's not in eBay interest to try to stop stolen things being on there. They
> could do it by for example insisting that all listing give the S/N of something.
> That would reduce the temptation to put stolen things on there.
>

> dave

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com