[Amps] Chinese Caps Defective @ RF

mike kendall ke6cvh at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 01:00:06 PDT 2012

Jim,

   Isn't Y5T that is listed a class II ceramic?  The NPO/N750/N1500 are all class I ceramics that won't age like the class II and IV do.  Also, with the lesser classes, when you look at the curves the percentage of change is more significant with heat.  With a higher ESR there would presumably be more heating on 10 meters.  I'm guessing it heated to the point where it exploded.  I would suspect the Y5T is seriously derated on RF at 10 meters.
  HES is still making door knobs adn there are somne American companies out there making some good high voltage RF caps.

73,
Mike