[Amps] Guidelines/ideas/references for using toroids in HF tube amp tank circuit?

David Feldman wb0gaz at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 08:03:34 PDT 2012

I'm looking at alternatives to rebuild a tank circuit in a 1.5kw HF amp. I'm interested in using toroids rather than air-core coils and with that, a different (non-tapped, separate coil for each band) switching scheme. I've seen (2" T-200 series) toroid cores used in 80/160 sections of Alpha 76 series and have heard they're used elsewhere, but I don't know what I should consider in a homebrew application, other than dielectric tape to prevent arcing through the core. Does anyone have any references or other info I could look up?

Tks,

73 Dave WB0GAZ wb0gaz at yahoo.com