[Amps] Guidelines.....toroids for tank ckts

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Mar 24 16:08:13 PDT 2012

On 3/24/2012 3:24 PM, Carl wrote:
> I would not recommend toroids above 40M and even there its iffy at high
> power. And of course use one per band.

Yes. I don't know anything about powdered iron materials, but all
ferrites get increasingly lossy with increasing frequency.  A few
ferrite mixes are designed to handle high power, and are pretty low loss
at low to medium frequencies, but each of them has a high frequency
limit, beyond which their loss has increased to the point that they are
not very useful.  For example, Fair-Rite #61 starts getting lossy above
about 10 MHz, while their #67 starts above 20-30 MHz.  In general,
losses will couple from the core to the wires, and will show up in the
equivalent circuit as resistance.

Another issue is voltage breakdown -- ferrites are semi-conductors, and
each mix is different there too. Some are pretty good insulators, others
are fairly conductive.  It's worth studying the Fair-Rite catalog, which
is really excellent. Fair-Rite data sheets include data for resistivity,
permeability and permittivity. If you have a solid EE background, it's
also worth calling Fair-Rite's technical support people. But study their
catalog and applications notes first so that you know what questions to
ask and can understand the answers.

73, Jim K9YC