[Amps] question for you experts...

Kathy Bookmiller wb2aio at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 14:10:43 PDT 2012

I was doing some checking out everything on my amp. (NCL2000) and noticed that the 2.5mh choke that is after the loading capacitor in the amp. was open-connection/wire is gone. Looking at others amps., I see they all have them-it would be rfc3 in a SB200, 1.1mh., for example.
Since they are in all amps, at least tube ones, what is it for? My guess it is to short out the HV if the coupling cap. shorted coming from the plates, but if I'm right, it doesn't seem heavy enough for a good power supply not to just burn it up and keep on putting the HV on the antenna/output.
I think I can save the one in my amp. if I can get the paint off the wire by scrapping or chemicals and reconnect it, but by doing this, I'll eliminate one of the 4 sections on the choke, but doubt that change in value would be a big problem?
Enlighten this poor QRPer,
Kathy W2NK