[Amps] question for you experts...

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Mar 27 19:50:39 PDT 2012

On 3/27/2012 10:20 PM, Gary Schafer wrote:
> Well Carl, which is it? You seem to be waffling both ways.
>
> The only "safety benefit" that the choke offers is it keeps the DC voltage
> at zero on the output terminal of the amplifier so you won't get zapped if
> you should touch the antenna connector or an antenna connected that does not
> have DC continuity in normal operation.

It's more than just the antenna connector.  Add feed line and antenna.

The practice of the choke goes way back to when the legal limit was
considerably less than today and it applies to transmitters as well.
Back then receivers had either the same  chokes or neon lamps across the
input terminals.

Voltages have gotten much lower in transmitters, transceivers, and solid
state amps, but there is a new...well, they have been around for a long
time, but there are now more of them and even commercial amps have a lot
more muscle in the power supply.

I think the idea of the choke is a good one, but maybe we should
consider a choke with notably more current carrying capability.  Will
that little choke blow and clear, or will it offer enough delay to blow
the fuse or trip the breaker?  Of course the average ham is likely to
reset and try again.  If the choke cleared, every thing is likely to
work just fine except for the few thousand volts that are now out there
on the vertical antenna in the wife's flower garden, or the low hanging
end of the droopy dipole.  OTOH antennas that are at DC ground should
pop the fuse every time.

As far as static electricity, I've seen a ground mounted, quarter wave,
40 meter vertical in a windy snow storm produce fatter and much longer
sparks than any ignition system.

73

Roger (K8RI)