[Amps] question for you experts...

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Mar 28 14:30:08 PDT 2012

What you say makes sense, Gary, especially when you consider that the
PI-network caps are usually air dielectric and the plate block capacitor
is usually some sort of ceramic doorknob. If the blocking cap gets the
least bit leaky, it will still look like a low resistance compared to
the leakage resistance of the air dielectric plate and load capacitors
in the PI network. In that sense, the choke is a "safety" choke as it
prevents the tune and load caps from slowly charging up due to the
leakage resistance of the blocking cap. I do agree that in the event of
a low-Z short in the blocking capacitor, the smaller chokes would
probably fuse open pretty quickly.

73, Mike W4EF...............