[Amps] How Do You Know When Filter Caps Begin to Fail?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Mar 28 14:31:56 PDT 2012

A lot depends upon the quality of the cap to start with, its enviroment
which also includes RF since electrolytics react poorly to it as seen in
Dentron amps with only 500pf plate choke bypasses that are run hard on
160/80M.

Many of the amps I get in for service have 80's date codes on the caps and
those I always strongly recommend get changed. Subsequent testing confirms
leakage is already in the twilight zone but not yet dangerous.....on most
but there are exceptions.

Since Computer Grade caps arent that expensive its good insurance. I buy all
mine, no matter the amp, from Ameritron at $13.50 each for 270uF or $108 for
8 of them. These fit the Alphas, Amp Supply, Ameritron and a few others.

Other amps such as Heath, Command, QRO, etc get the CDE 381LX series 330uF
450V 105*C caps from Mouser at $14.75 a pop but I buy the 25 qty at $9.95
since I use so many. They are also retrofitted into amps using the twist
lock cans and the 30mm dia 220uf fits the NCL-2000 clips perfectly.

Since the tolerance is far better than originals I cut down on extra heat
and current by replacing 30-50K equalizers with 100K 3W MOX.

Carl
KM1H