[Amps] How to know when filter caps begin to fail

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Mar 29 09:05:57 PDT 2012

On 3/29/2012 7:52 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:17:07 -0600
> From: "Jim Garland"<4cx250b at muohio.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] How to know when filter caps begin to fail
> To:<amps at contesting.com>
>

> My experience is that the only time electrolytic caps explode is either when
> the polarity is backwards or when a rectifier diode fails and AC appears
> across them. I've found other age-related failures to generally be more
> benign. Generally they just lose their capacitance but don't start
> conducting. Now tantalum caps are another story. They almost always fail by
> short circuiting, sometimes catching fire.

Wayyyy back I had a Dentron DTR2000 about a month old.  One of the
filter caps blew the can right off it.  AT least it was a relatively
small cap that was only about an inch tall and maybe 3/4" in diameter.
That can hit the top of the amp so hard it flattened it. It looked like
a 38 wad cutter that had hit something hard.  It was darn near as loud
as a 38 too.

73

Roger (K8RI)