[Amps] New Heat Transport Links, Interesting

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue May 1 14:15:39 PDT 2012

On 5/1/2012 11:33 AM, Sam Carpenter wrote:
> Here are a couple of links to what they say will change everything in Heat
> Transport that will apply to solid state devices.

Welll...yah, sorta, maybe...<:-))
In its present state it would be extremely expensive to implement
production wise.  The increase in efficiency or reduction in thermal
resistance would depend on the number of interfaces  and the materials.
I doubt they will come near their 10X change in production.  OTOH the
minimum of 2X should be achievable in production and is a major change.
If nothing else it would add greatly to the reliability of solid state
amps.  Now if they could develop them to handle voltage spikes or even
repetitive spikes<sigh>

We know temperature is molecular movement. The higher the temperature
the faster the molecules move. Presently we depend on temperature
between two materials to transfer via mechanical means. This technique
of bonding by integrating the bonding material into both materials makes
the transfer much more efficient as the materials act as if they are
part of each other.  The next step would be to actually have the
surfaces of the materials actually merge. A thin sheet of gold placed
between two surfaces will eventually bond to those surfaces as the gold
molecules will migrate into them, but that may take years, so letting
nature take care of the process is somewhat impractical.  I imagine
Palladium will do the same thing. I don't know if any other materials
have this property or not.

73

Roger (K8RI)