[Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue May 1 19:07:08 PDT 2012

>> 20 liters of water can store enough heat to last comfortably through
>> an afternoon of hamming, and overnight the bucket cools down almost
>> to room temperature. To work a 48 hour contest, some sort of heat
>> exchanger with fan would be needed, or the water would need to be
>> replaced every several hours.
> The point here is that even 10 liters in a system with a small radiator
> and fan would be more than sufficient.  Extend the hoses outside the
> shack and one has essentially noiseless cooling *and* removes the heat
> from the shack which can be a blessing in hot conditions (like Florida)
> on a small shack.

Florida?  How about Michigan in the summer? Just the two big computers
in my den with 750 watt power supplies struggling to keep up,  will
about drive you out from Mid April through September, or even October
sometimes.  Particularly late in the afternoon as the den is on the West
side of the house.  It was 68 for a short time this afternoon and it's
still quite warm in here.  It doesn't help that this is a small room.

it does help that we have central air and my shop is very well insulated
with the largest window unit I could get (220 V)  Even with outside
temps over 90 and a 16' as well as 8' *insulated* garage doors the shop
remains comfortable.

I think I am going to convert both to water cooling with  a 10-20 gallon
PVC tank and a small pump.

73

Roger (K8RI)