[Amps] Fwd: Re: soldering vs crimping

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Wed May 2 17:31:25 PDT 2012

Often, I am asked to look at radios in my flying friend's aircraft.  The
first thing I do is check out the antenna connections.  In particular, the
bnc connector.  Rarely is it the radio.  The bad connectors are either screw
in or soldered.  Not had a problem with crimped.  I install a crimped
connector, using the proper tool, and the problem goes away.

However ... last year I was using my spectrum analyzer and tracking
generator to align some 2 meter filters.  Results were inconsistent.  I
discovered that about half of my short bnc jumper cables (which were all
commercial cables using crimped connectors) had losses of up to 2 db.  I was
shocked.  All of them looked fine.

Conclusion - you can have bad connectors regardless of whether they are
soldered or crimped.

73, Colin  K7FM