[Amps] Mismatch loss

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Wed May 2 18:21:46 PDT 2012

Jim,

You keep changing the topic.

My original comment was that 2 UHF connector pairs separated by 155
degrees (worst case) of 50 ohm cable on 70cm _can_ produce slightly over
a 2:1 SWR with low loss transmission line with a perfect 50 ohm load.
Now the mismatch loss is ~.55dB.  To most people a 2:1 SWR is
significant.  This is measurable easily done and is very real.   Mated
UHF connectors are ~0.9" of 30 ohm transmission line.  Then you changed
the topic AGAIN with your comment about the ARRL Handbook which calls
additional loss in transmission line mismatch loss.  Unfortunately the
rest of the technical world uses the definition that is on the Wikipedia
page.  Additional loss in a transmission line due to SWR (which produces
heat) is NOT the same as mismatch loss (which does NOT produce heat).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mismatch_loss

Now you are changing the topic again.  Do you dispute that 2 mated UHF
connections can produce a 2:1 SWR on 70cm?  It also happens that if the
separation of the 2 UHF connections is 67 degrees the SWR returns to 1:1
at the transmitter with the 67 degree section of transmission line
having as SWR of 1.43:1.   I just made the measurement with an HP8753
network analyzer getting the same answer as WinSmith or SuperSmith show.

Mismatch loss is as super easy to see at HF.  Take a tuner and adjust
the impedance seen by the transmitter to various values "near" 50 ohms
and measure the forward power.  You are virtually guaranteed to see a
larger forward power at some value other than 50 ohms.  The maximum
power (assuming no transmitter protection issues) occurs when this
impedance is the complex conjugate of the transmitters output impedance.

At HF, the minimum loss on transmission lines occurs when the line has
constant current on it (matched) since standing waves cause repeated
higher and lower currents in the cable.  Loss is proportional to current
squared and the higher currents more than offset the loss contribution
of the lower currents.  I have said this before but the free program
LTSpice can show this behavior perfectly.

Many universities such as MIT have the EE courses online.

See: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

If you wish to continue to argue about these topics I would suggest you
learn/use LTSpice, take an online RF EE class, or get a current RF class
textbook.  I know how to do the math of the transmission line impedances
almost in my sleep and have the test equipment and the understanding how
to make the measurements properly.

73,
Larry, W0QE