[Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Thu May 3 10:41:15 PDT 2012

Bob,

Something doesn't sound right here.  Even if your amp produced a perfect
square wave output, the harmonics of the square wave would be down more
than what you saw.  The Fourier series of a square wave with amplitude
+/-1V has the amplitude of the fundamental freq. = 4/PI, the 3rd
harmonic = 4/(3*PI), the 5th harmonic = 4/(5*PI) etc.  This means that
the 3rd harmonic is 9.54dB below the fundamental and the 5th harmonic is
13.98dB below the fundamental.  I don't know what the problem might be
other than something seems incorrect.

73,
Larry, W0QE