[Amps] Fwd: Re: soldering vs crimping

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Thu May 3 15:32:44 PDT 2012

Bad move. Don't do it.

By using the tubing cutter, you are certainly doing a neat job but you
are deforming that soldered braid and pushing it, as a sharp edge,
inwards, through the dielectric towards the centre conductor.

Apart from the impedance hump it creates, this must surely result in a
severe reduction of breakdown voltage or power handling capability for
that connection at that point.

That is unless you are able to debur or reform the soldered shield at
the point of the cut and repair the groove in the dielectric.

73, Alek.
VK6APK