[Amps] The power of an oversized electrolytic capacitor

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri May 4 07:28:13 PDT 2012

Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 19:20:24 -0700
From: "k7fm" <k7fm at teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The power of an oversized electrolytic capacitor

We have been talking about the danger of having too much capacitance in the
power supply filter capacitor. I just read that large capacitor banks are
used to fire off nuclear bombs. That puts takes the discussion to a new
level. Also, I wonder if carrying a large electrolytic around might be
violating some federal or state law about having possession of bomb making
equipment? I can just see some prosecutor demonstrating the power of a
charged 300 ufd @ 10,000 volt cap - especially if the owner was a cb
operator.

73, Colin K7FM

##  where do you folks get the idea that they are bombs.   I have yet to see one of em,
from hundreds so far... that up and blow their brains out. Toss that myth out the window.

###  BTW,   My latest creation uses  24 x 10,000 uf  @ 450 vdc caps, all in series..
and charged up to 7700 vdc.   That’s  one bank.    I built a 2nd identical bank of 24,
and parallel  the 2 x banks together... onto a common buss.... via hv fuses of course.
I use a  1.1 kw CCS, energy discharge rated  glitch  50 ohm R.    And yes, you can cro-bar
it all day long..and nothing happens...just a blown HV fuse.  ( via  a vac contactor of course).

##  This is all old news..at least for over 5 years now.   The concept works very good.  It amounts
to a brute force regulated B+ supply.

Jim  VE7RF