[Amps] The power of an oversized electrolytic capacitor / how much PS filter C is enough?

Leigh Turner invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Thu May 10 18:21:01 PDT 2012

Yes indeed Dave; linearity will be lost if the B+ plate supply varies due to
excess ripple superimposed on the DC. The degree of that loss depends on
whether the tube is operating in Class C, AB2, AB1, etc, i.e. the inherent
degree of nonlinearity in the tube that produces the requite mixing to
create incidental AM sidebands containing the 120 Hz hum modulation on the
amplifier's output signal.

Yes 3-phase HV power supplies are very nice; hence their universal use in
broadcast transmitters and some high-end ham amplifiers.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT