[Amps] The power of an oversized electrolytic capacitor / pragmatism rules

Leigh Turner invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Sat May 19 19:01:16 PDT 2012

Yes Peter, you won't go astray if you take your clues from what the leading
commercial and professional vendors of the tube amplifier era did in their
power supply designs; all based on pragmatic time proven sound engineering
principles.

There's no significant benefit (perceived or actual) to be gained in going
much beyond 60 uF or so in a single-phase FWB capacitor reservoir filter HV
power supply used in today's mainstream QRO amplifiers.

Homebrewers with a parts junk box full of big electrolytics may wish to err
on the large size with a 120 uF or so; but doing so will take you way past
the diminishing return point. Having a stiff / non-sagging AC mains feed and
a "big" weighty core + copper HV transformer are more important factors in
achieving good load regulation in dynamic SSB linear service.

Leigh
VK5KLT