[Amps] Sensible filter Cap sizing

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Thu May 24 04:33:19 PDT 2012

Hi Gang,

I've had a couple comments about 5x500V not being enough for 2488V and that I should use 6 or 7 caps.  When I was first building my ps, I was thinking along the same lines, and if I had 6 or 7, I likely would have put them in just for good measure.  On the other hand I also rationalized it by thinking those capicator designers have already put in a safety margin to meet their MTBF stats, and I know that my p-p best case is 2488, even exceeding 2248 it woudln't be a normal or prolonged use case, so why should I add yet another safety margin to the system.   So far, so good.  I guess I could replace them with the 8 3900uf 450V caps I got for free the other day.

73,
Paul, kg7hf