[Amps] plate voltage meter shunt

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Nov 4 11:38:40 EST 2012

Subject: Re: [Amps] plate voltage meter shunt

** Understood but I dont expect someone to be running a 5KV meter at 5KV, in
that case Id configure for 10KV and not have to worry about a new scale (-;

>> SNIPPED

> ##  I also tried Bill, W6WRT's  method, and although it works, I wanted an
> HV meter that is
> totally independent  of EQ resistors.  In one of the HV supplies, Oil caps
> were used.  In the
> RF decks, I require a stand alone HV meter.

** Ditto. If Ameritron/Dentron/Heath, etc didnt use that method there must
be something wrong since they wouldnt skip the chance to save a few bucks
(-;
It sounds like some ARRL idea.

More SNIPS

> ##  The large perf boards I bought from mouser were all made from this
> green fiberglass  material.
> They  won't absorb moisture at all, I let one of em sit in water to test
> for that.   I use the same perf boards
> to make  FWB assemblies.   I also used em  to make up  series 6A10 diode
> assy's  for bias for GG amps.
> Think the ones I used had .080" holes in em, which will take the .060"
> leads from 6A10 diodes etc.
>
> ## Never had a problem with em since 1990, but they are not cheap.
> Phenolic will absorb moisture, too brittle,
> has no strength to it, pita.
>
> later........ Jim  VE7RF

** But Hammy Hambone wouldnt think of that or want to spend the money, or
even want to be around that much HV. I have a phenolic board with large
diode blocks that was running about 9500VDC in a 60's industrial amp (water
cooled 14KW Pd Amperex triode) and use phenolic in my ~28 yr old HB 2M amp
up to 4KVDC PS with 1N5408's.
Manufactured that way or cut to size and sealed later they will last a long
time.

Carl
KM1H