[Amps] low Q output matching

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Sun Nov 11 12:59:26 EST 2012

Carel,

> Hi, I was wondering what else, besides bad harmonic suppression, will happen
> when I design my (single band) output matching network (PI-L)  with low Q
> (lowest Q needed to get the match done) ?

I can't really see any problem, except less good harmonic suppression.

But maybe you haven't realized that on the high bands you often have no
option but to use high Q, because of the tube's internal capacitance.
The lowest Q you can use is dictated not only by the impedance
transformation ratio, but also by the sum of the tube output capacitance
and the circuit stray capacitances in that area. When you push a tube
with rather high capacitance to a relatively high frequency, you can end
up forced to use a Q of 20 or 25 or even higher, just to absorb that
high tube capacitance!

Manfred