[Amps] low Q output matching

peter chadwick g8on at fsmail.net
Mon Nov 12 10:09:49 EST 2012

Carel,
When the amplifier is running in any class other than A, (except in one case which I'll deal with later), the tank circuit 'rings' with each current pulse, and 'fills in' the voltage swing at the anode. So if you just had a wideband transformer, you'd only be putting current in for around half a cycle - maybe for 220 degrees in Class AB. Now the exception for that is if you run in push-pull, as the solid state amplifiers do, and as audio amplifiers used to do with valves.
So there comes a point as Q is reduced where distortion will start to rise. Also, the power output will start to drop: exactly where that point is, I don't know, but my feeling is that going below a working Q of around 5 will probably show this up.
Untuned valve amplifiers in Class AB use push-pull, distributed type amplifiers: for just one  band, that's unnecessary. They are also very inefficient in terms of power in for power out. The other problem with a transformer is the shunting effect of the output capacitance of the valves: this will make the anode load reactive and mean the valve is seeing an elliptical load line, which in turn produces some phase distortion: that phase distortion can lead to degraded IMD.
73
Peter G3RZP

Message Received: Nov 12 2012, 02:40 PM