[Amps] Heathkit SB-1000 Arcing

Han Higasa higasa at plum.ocn.ne.jp
Thu Nov 29 21:03:32 EST 2012

hi gents. I also have one.

If the ark occur at the stand-by state (not TXing) you should
check HV+ as well as the tube itself.

The tube can cause ark inside especially when it is NOS.
If it is the case you can see typically pink ark inside the tube.

A plastic insulator between the chassis and the base of plate RFC
can break into pieces after long operation.
I have replaced it to 25 x 25 x 3mm teflon sheet.

Also, I have experienced a splitted lower RFC brass-band.
It can cause a short-state to chassis ground. It is easy to change
the band but I have soldered another piece of copper sheet to
chink it up.

My SB-1000 may cause ark around the band switch when
feeding high-SWR load but almost stable.

GL, de Han JE1BMJ