[Amps] preserving tubes

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Oct 4 19:49:13 EDT 2012

On 10/4/2012 4:16 AM, ian at ifwtech.co.uk wrote:
> If a tube has leakage to air, it is doomed anyhow, and storing it in a
> vacuum can only delay the inevitable. Leakage will start right in
> again when the tube is put into service.

True, but:

The military used to get 4CX150s in vacuum packed cans.
Lets say a tube with metal to glass seals like the 4CX150, or PL172 has
an expected vacuum life of 15 years.  If you have a bunch of NOS (in the
cans) that are 30-40 years old when you open the can the tube  is
starting its life in the real world with an expected life of 15 years,
while one that was never in a can is most likely gassy without ever
having been used.  OTOH that gassy tube is highly unlikely to be at
atmospheric pressure inside, so if you place it in a hard vacuum the
difference between inside and out is not great and the tube is unlikely
to ever return to a high vacuum.  At least not within a practical time.
IE the difference between 1 X 10^-5 and 1 X 10 ^-7 Toor or atmospheres
is miniscule compared to 15 psi (atmospheric pressure) and 1 X 10^-5 Toor.

Too bad we didn't vacuum pack all those spare PL172s when they were new.
They'd be worth a small fortune now.

73

Roger (K8RI)