[Amps] Odd Problem with SB-201

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Oct 6 13:09:21 EDT 2012

That really doesnt work very well as now there is no way to apply operating
or cutoff bias without more work than it is worth. Plus anything that
increases gain potentially reduces stability since neutralization was
marginal to start with on 10-15M.

By simply adding a .01 to .02 1000V disc cap across the existing 200pf grid
capacitors and replacing the parasitic suppressor resistors with Ohmite OY
series resistors (use the original coil or wind a new one) the results are
the same. High stability along with more output than is safe for Chinese
tube which are only rated at 125W dissipation and have poor emission life
when abused.

I also suggest no more than 75W drive unless a 10-12 Ohm non inductive NFB
resistor is used at the input.

At 600-650W out the amp will last a lot longer and the signal difference
wont even be heard.

Carl
KM1H