[Amps] AL-1500 filter caps

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 18 04:09:52 EDT 2012

That's not all.

The 8 capacitors are running right on the edge as well. They are 450V
rated and the plate voltage is 3600V. On days when the incoming mains is
a little higher, it is not uncommon for the plate voltage to be up
around 3750V.

I have bought 500V caps for my AL-1500 but I'm waiting for the summer
holidays to get the time to dive in and swaqp them out.  Armed with the
resistor knowledge, I shall seek out suitable higher rated replacements
as well.

73, Alek.
VK6APK

On 18/10/2012 3:20 PM, Steve Thompson wrote:
> Have they changed the resistors to ones properly rated for the job?
>
> It's certainly an efficient spares service, but a shame they designed
> something with a fundamental flaw built in.
>
> Steve
>
>> A friend's AL-1500 started blowing fuses after the two minute timeout.
>>

>> I isolated the problem to the filter cap board. After pulling the
>> board, I found that two or three caps had vented their guts onto the
>> board.
>>

>> I called Ameritron, and had the following conversation:
>> me - I need a set of 8 filter caps for an AL-1500
>> him - I assume you want the equalizing resistors too?
>> me - Hmm, I didn't even look at those.
>> him - the resistors usually go first, taking out the caps
>> me - ok, send the resistors too.
>> him - do you want just the parts, or the whole board?
>> me - Hmmm, how much is the whole board?
>> him - $20 more than just the parts
>> me - ok send the whole board
>> him - Ok that will be $167 including shipping.
>>
>> I think that's pretty good service. I went back and checked the
>> equalizing resistors, and several were open, or way off value. It was
>> a good catch for him to mention the resistors. I might have missed
>> that. Those guys do know their product. It was nice to get a fully
>> populated board for only $20 more than just the parts.
>>

>> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
>> Yuma, Arizona

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6apk
http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6ap