[Amps] Question re GU-74B capability

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Oct 23 22:23:53 EDT 2012

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:14:20 +1030
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech at frontierisp.net.au>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question re GU-74B capability

Carl, VK land has a 1 kW power limit on the HF bands.

Leigh
VK5KLT

###  Point well taken Leigh.   The part I don’t get is.... when you
folks did have a 400w limit  ( and some countries still do, like I think
south africa)...why would anybody want to mess with a 400W amp in the
1st place ?

##  I just can’t see myself building a 400 w anp.... when my  FT-1000D
does an easy 200++ watts out to begin with.

##  Ok,  lets say the typ poor ham has his 100w xcvr.. ( and 2 SUV’s parked outside),
and then uses his TL-922  to get his  400w out.  You may as well unplug one of the tubes
in that case, and use it as a spare.... but alas, you can’t even do that, since they wired the
fils in series.   You could on an SB-220.

Jim  VE7RF