[Amps] Vacuum relay replacement - now grid reading

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Fri Oct 26 11:20:58 EDT 2012

Thanks to all for the replies both to say the relay is fine and on
how to deal with the issue when it crops up again.

Now I see there's something else; theres a change in the grid meter
reading that wasn't there before, it reads much less vigorously than
before and shows no sharp defined peaks as the load/tune is adjusted.
It doesn't appear to reflect what the readings should be and I don'e
get full scale deflection, at most maybe 1/3 scale deflection. I'm
getting full output however and no problem getting full output, but
switching between the plate amp reading and grid reading I see little
difference in the needle deflection.

Also, I don't see the ALC light come on as I tune so ALC likely isn't
working. Wasn't like this before so it's most likely related to
something that happened when the relay locked in the transmit
condition. Need to figure this one out.

One of the nice things about getting an old amp that's been pried
into before by one or more previous owners is you & the amp get to
know each other much better. Usually this acquaintance develops more
sooner than later.

Heh,

Gary
KA1J