[Amps] The GU84B and GU78B tubes / some brief history

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Oct 29 12:38:05 EDT 2012

>I presume you mean the modified B&W 852!

** Its an 850A that Ive rebuilt and slightly modified the L values. The 4X1
is a Hi Z tube

> That's what I'm planning to use for my 4CX1000A amplifier. I simply lifted
> the strap from the cold end of the coil so I can insert a 160m coil. The
> one thing that I couldn't figure out how to do was to add a contact in the
> 160m position to switch in an additional capacitor across the loading
> capacitor. The rotor wiper for the B&W switch interferes with one of the
> contacts no matter where you position it.
>
> I know B&W made a version of the tank that supported 160m. I bet they used
> a narrower rotor wiper.

** Its been ages since Ive seen one but I dont remember any special place to
hang a cap. They just added the contact and a modified coil. Im using a
toroid for 160.

> I am probably going to gang a small rotary switch with 60 degree indexing
> to the B&W tank and use it to operate relays for the grid coils and the

** In the past Ive used a WW2 BC-375 switch for padding when I didnt have a
big enough vacuum variable. This time around Im using a 2500pf version that
Ive been hoarding for 20+ years.

Carl
KM1H